Broncos Announce $135,922 Profit at Annual General Meeting
SWIFT CURRENT, SK – The Swift Current Broncos hosted their Annual General Meeting at the Innovation Credit Union i-Plex Monday Night. Trent McCLeary, Chairman of the Swift Current Broncos Board of Directors announced a profit of $135,922 for the 2016-17 season.
“I would like to congratulate our new directors and staff with their success both on and off the ice,” said Board of Directors Chairman Trent McCleary. “In 2016-2017, we changed our management structure to have three identifiable leaders. Manny Viveiros, the Director of Player Personnel, Dianne Sletten, the Director of Business Operations and Jamie Porter the Director in charge of Hockey Operations all had successful years in their areas. The team‘s on ice product was entertaining and resilient getting to the seventh game of the second round of the 2017 WHL Playoffs. This helped the off-ice generate more revenue while keeping the expenses in check, creating a solid net profit for the year while Jamie Porter kept the player pipeline full and available.”
“The board of directors would like to thank the fans, sponsors and partners for their loyal support,” McCleary further noted. “Without you, this team does not exist. We all are eagerly awaiting another exciting and entertaining year of Bronco hockey. Thanks again for your support.”
Highlights of the AGM included:
- The Swift Current Broncos announced a profit of $135,922. With six games in two rounds of WHL Playoffs, the Broncos had a profit for the fourth straight year.
- With great crowds in the second half of the season, the average attendance increased to 2,006 per game; an increase of 37 per game from last season.
- The Broncos had seven straight sell outs – the final regular season game of the year and six playoff games
- Swift Current Broncos staff and players contributed 352 hours to Swift Current and surrounding communities including delivering season tickets, presentations to schools, and community events. We donated just over $6,000 worth of merchandise and tickets to various community and organizational fundraising events.
- The regular season record was 39-23-4-6.
- The team finished third in the East Division and fifth overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The Broncos qualified for Round Two of the 2017 WHL Playoffs and took the Regina Pats to seven games.
- Tyler Steenbergen led the team in scoring (51 goals, 39 assists) for 90 points and finished tied for first in goal scoring across the WHL.
- Aleksi Heponiemi finished first amongst all WHL rookies in scoring with (28 goals, 58 assists) for 86 points.