Bronco Strong night is coming Friday, November 2nd (7:00pm MT) when the Swift Current Broncos host the Lethbridge Hurricanes at the Innovation Credit Union i-Plex.
Joining forces with the Humboldt Broncos of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL), both teams, organizations, and communities will take time to pause and reflect on tragedies that have impacted them so deeply.
The Humboldt and Swift Current Broncos share a name, but unfortunately, also share the heart ache of tragic accidents in their respective histories. The 1986 Swift Current Broncos were involved in a bus crash on December 30th, 196, which claimed the lives of four young hockey players. Tragedy struck again on April 6th, 2018 when the Humboldt Broncos bus collided with a semi-trailer. This time, 16 lives were lost and many others were left with life altering injuries. The members of each of these teams will be invited to attend the November 2nd hockey game along with family members.
Both the Swift Current Broncos and Humboldt Broncos partnered together to create a jersey that will represent the communities of Swift Current and Humboldt. Designed by Bronco Alumnus Taylor Vause of Full Stride Designs, these jerseys will be worn by the Swift Current Broncos on November 2nd and will be auctioned off with 100% of the revenue going towards STARS Air Ambulance. The Humboldt Broncos will wear the uniforms as a third jersey for the remainder of the 2018-19 season. A generous donation by Scotia Wealth Management will cover the cost of both sets of uniforms.
The jerseys were teased by the Broncos last week, then publicized for the first time last Saturday. It’s fitting in a poetic way that the designer of the jerseys was Western Hockey League Alumni Taylor Vause, who played 273 WHL regular season games with the Broncos between 2008 and 2012.
“I hope these jerseys represent all those affected with the respect they deserve,” noted Vause on Twitter.
Friday’s game begins at 7:00 p.m. MT. Those interested in bidding on game-worn jerseys can visit the CHL Auctions page.
ONLINE BIDDING INFORMATION
- Visit the auction website at auction.chl.ca.
- Create an account.
- Follow the auctions and bid on your favourite player’s jersey.
IN VENUE BIDDING INFORMATION
- Bidding agents will be available during the game to input in-venue bids into CHL Auctions.
- Visit our bidding area at the November 2nd home game.
- Fill out a bidder card.
- Submit your bid with a live bidding agent.
- The bidding agent will enter your bid into CHL Auctions and inform you of your bid status after entering the bid.
- If your bid is less than the current maximum bid, the bidding agent will inform you immediately of a subsequent bid.
*Bids online and in venue will be recorded live to the CHL Auctions page.
CHL AUCTION INFORMATION
- CHL Auctions will try to win the auction for you at the lowest price possible and automatically bid for you based on your maximum bid. For example, if the current bid is at $390 and you enter a maximum bid of $500, CHL Auctions will bid $400 on your behalf and only increase if another bidder bids higher. You will continue to win the auction until a bid exceeds your $500 bid.
- The auction will end at the scheduled time, or 5 minutes after the last bid, whichever comes later. For example, if you submit a bid with 45 seconds left in the auction, the auction timer will reset to 5 minutes. This will continue until no new bids are submitted.
JERSEY PICK UP INFORMATION
- Following the game on November 2nd, each jersey will be washed and signed by the respective player. Jerseys will be available for pick up at the November 3rd home game.
- The Swift Current Broncos are hosting a team signing event following the November 3rd home game. Fans purchasing Broncos Strong jerseys on November 2nd will have the opportunity to have their jerseys personalized by the players at this event.
- Fans that purchase Broncos Strong jerseys will have the opportunity to go through a VIP line at the November 3rd team signing event.
- Local Pick-up – FREE
- Within Saskatchewan – $15
- Within Canada – $18
- United States – $25
- CHL Auctions will automatically charge the credit card of any successful online bidders following the closing of the auction.
- Successful in venue bidders will be required to pay following the auction closing at The Stable.
For additional inquiries prior to game time Friday, November 2nd, please contact Ryan: (306)741-8298 or email@example.com. For inquires during the game, please visit a bidding agent in the main lobby.
Along with STARS, other organizations that will be in attendance for the event include Hockey Gives Blood, the Saskatchewan Brain Injury Association and the FAv Foundation. Hockey Gives Bloods will be in the building to provide information to fans on blood and organ donation. The Saskatchewan Brain Injury Association will also have an informational booth set up at the game. The FAv Foundation will be at the Innovation Credit Union i-Plex doing a One Match Drive. This drive will give fans an opportunity to swab their cheeks to be added to the One Match registry for stem cell donation.
“It’s going to be a really special moment and lots of the guys on our team knew the families impacted by it,” noted Swift Current Broncos forward Alec Zawatsky. “I think it’s going to be an emotional night and I think that this game’s more for them not for us.”
Limited edition Bronco Strong items will be available for purchase at The Stable at Friday’s game. Items include hats, hoodies and t-shirts.
Tickets to Bronco Strong night can be purchased by visiting the Stable, calling 306-773-1509 ext. 1 or online at tickets.scbroncos.com. Friday’s game begins at 7:00pm MT. Doors open at 6:00pm MT.